This plugin speeds up your site by minifying and caching JS & CSS files. It also cleans up a number of issues, replacing multiple plugins. It improves speed, efficiency, security, SEO, and user experience.
Documentation / Tech Support
- Removes the Generator/WordPress Version number from the HEAD section for security reasons. You don’t want your WordPress version being easily visible because that makes it easier for hackers to find sites with a specific WordPress version to target. The best defense is to keep your WordPress updated with the latest version, but even if you do keep your site up to date, it still could be vulnerable to zero-day exploits.
- Removes Version numbers from CSS and JS in the HEAD for the same security reasons you hide WordPress version. Will also improve site loading speed because removing version numbers from the CSS & JS links will allow browsers to properly cache these files, as well as helping your site code to validate. This feature improves your Google PageSpeed score.
- Removes junk WordPress code from the HEAD of your site: RSD link, Windows Live Writer Manifest link, WordPress Shortlinks (also removed from HTTP Headers), Adjacent Posts links (REL = PREV/NEXT), Emoji Detection bloat as all are unnecessary, hurt your SEO and clutter your site code.
- HTML minification of your site’s code. Removes HTML comments, whitespace, and compresses the HTML code of your site down to the bare minimum, including inline JS and CSS, to help speed up your site.
- Disable Emoji Detection Disables the emoji detection for older browsers and removes significant code bloat from the head and other places. Based on code from “Disable Emojis” plugin.
- Fixes the “Read more” link so it displays the entire post when you click, not just the part after the “#more”.
- This is one of the fastest and most lightweight JS/CSS compression & minification plugins you can find. It doesn’t contain huge libraries.
Several of these features work together to improve page loading speed and will improve your Google PageSpeed score and Yahoo YSlow score. Do a before & after test with GTMetrix to see what we mean.
NOTE: As with any JS/CSS minification & caching plugin, it’s important to test, test, test before implementing on a production site. Because of the type of plugin it is, this plugin may not work for every site out there, but that does not mean the plugin is broken. If you have any issues, please submit a support request so we can look into it and make it as compatible as possible for everyone.
For a more thorough explanation of what the plugin does and why you need it, as well as how to get the best performance results with it, visit the RS Head Cleaner Plus plugin homepage.
- WordPress 4.0 or higher (Recommended: WordPress 4.5 or higher)
- PHP 5.3 or higher (Recommended: PHP 5.5 or higher)
- Your server must be configured to allow the use of an
.htaccessfile. (This is enabled by default on the vast majority of servers.)
Here are a few of the FAQs…for a more complete set of FAQs, please visit: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
If you have any further questions, please submit them at the main WordPress Plugin Support page (our main support channel) and we will be happy to help you out.
- Installation Instructions
Option 1: Install the plugin directly through the WordPress Admin Dashboard (Recommended)
Go to Plugins -> Add New.
Type RS Head Cleaner Plus into the Search box, and click Search Plugins.
When the results are displayed, click Install Now.
When it says the plugin has successfully installed, click Activate Plugin to activate the plugin (or you can do this on the Plugins page).
Option 2: Install .zip file through WordPress Admin Dashboard
Go to Plugins -> Add New -> Upload.
Click Choose File and find
rs-head-cleaner.zipon your computer’s hard drive.
Click Install Now.
Click Activate Plugin to activate the plugin (or you can do this on the Plugins page).
Option 3: Install .zip file through an FTP Client (Recommended for Advanced Users Only)
After downloading, unzip file and use an FTP client to upload the enclosed
rs-head-cleanerdirectory to your WordPress plugins directory (usually
/wp-content/plugins/) on your web server.
Go to your Plugins page in the WordPress Admin Dashboard, and find this plugin in the list.
Click Activate to activate the plugin.
This plugin has not been designed specifically for use with Multisite. It can be used in Multisite if activated per site, but should not be Network Activated. As with any plugin, test and make sure it works with your particular setup before using on a production site.
More Info / Documentation
For more info and full documentation, visit the RS Head Cleaner Plus homepage.
- Where are the options?
This plugin is fast, and lean…there are no options needed. You install it and it just works.
- Does this plugin have any known issues?
Just one that we know of.
Test this plugin out on your site before deciding if it will be the right solution for you. Normally we would create an options page to let you turn the JS-to-Footer feature off, but this plugin is all about speeding up your site, and that means minimal calls to the database, so unfortunately it would defeat the purpose of this plugin if we added the ability to change that.
- But I already have a caching Plugin installed…Why do I need CSS and JS caching?
- What if I Don’t Want to Have My Page’s CSS Files Cached?
This plugin is built for speed. That’s why it doesn’t have an options page, because I didn’t want it to have any database calls, which would slow it down. After a certain amount of database calls, you lose any speed improvements. Certain industry leading websites have found that for every 100 milliseconds (1/10th of a second) their site slowed down, they lost 1% in sales. Ouch.
This new feature is integral to the plugin, so the caching isn’t a feature you want, then this plugin won’t be the right match for you. It’s designed for people that are very speed-conscious, and want hardcore solutions.
- You do great work…can I hire you?
Absolutely…go to our WordPress Consulting page for more information.